Meet Burka

Ethiopia

Burka is an only child. He lives with his mum in a single roomed mud-made rented house for which her mum pays approximately £8 per month. Burka sleeps with his mum on the floor on a mattress made of stem. During our visit to this family we recognised that they are in a very poor conditions. They don’t have house furniture or other house materials. Burka wears ragged plastic-made shoes and clothes.  He has just the one set. Moreover, they use water for drinking from the neighbourhood. Burka's father, Kebede, sadly passed away due to thyroid related diseases. At the moment, Burka's mum is the only bread winner and she sells different vegetables in the market area in Dembi Dollo.  She works on market days and earns around £6 weekly. With this income she is not able to cover all the expenses. Burka usually eats dinner and breakfast and will often have lunch.



Where Burka lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Burka. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Burka you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Contact form image
Stand by... almost there...