Meet Abdi

Ethiopia

Abdi lives with his parents in a rented small roomed mud house. His father works as a shoe shiner but he earns a very small income. His mother is a house wife. Their rental house has no proper toilet facility. Because of their situation, Stand by Me accepted Abdi into our programme, providing hope and a life changing education, medication and nutrition. Abdi is confident and considerate and loves to play neighbourhood games with his friends. He is very active and also enjoys playing football. He is from Christian family and likes attending church every Sunday with his parents.



Where Abdi lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Abdi . We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Abdi you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Contact form image
Stand by... almost there...