Meet Lucy

Aged 7, Kenya

Lucy's family were displaced during the post election violence that took place in Kenya back in 2007. She along with her siblings and mother moved to a different town whilst their father remained in their home. They came to live in a slum area, and with Lucy's mother being sick and bedridden with arthritis, she was not able to provide for her family. The children had to try and find food and were having to take care of themselves and their mother. They would get to school late or just not attend due to their home situation. The school helped by giving them food to take home but this was just a short-term solution. Help was sought to try and trace their maternal grandparents, but they did not feel able to support them and no contact could be made either with their dad. 

Lucy and her siblings were then brought into the care of the Open Arms Village. With sponsorship provision, they have access to the love, care and protection they need and a quality education. Sadly their mother died a few months later. 

Lucy is a very intelligent and energetic young girl. She goes to school and is a very conscientious hard worker who always demonstrates a willingness to give herself to her studies. She is a strong girl despite the small academic challenges that she faces. Lucy always does a great job in facing and overcoming them. She loves dancing and she usually participates in the dancing activities at school and at home. She hopes to become a doctor when she grows up.

Where Lucy lives

The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.

How your donation is used

88% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Lucy. We'll use the remaining 12% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Lucy you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...