Orpa is 11 years old and lives with her siblings and parents in Kenya. All of Orpa's siblings are in school or high school except the youngest. Orpa's father is a labourer who digs boreholes and does construction work. Her mother collects firewood for people in the community to earn a living. Together the income is low for their needs.
The family has dug a borehole in their compound from where they collect their water, boiling some for drinking. They have a toilet but it is not in a very good condition and it is not safe for the children to use. They have planted some maize to help feed the family.
With the number of children in their home, her father asked for help with Orpa joining our care so we can help her receive an education.
Orpa likes playing with her friends and says that maths is her favourite subject. She says that she would like to be an athlete one day just like Eliud Kipchoge, the Kenyan professional long-distance runner.
The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Orpa. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Orpa you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.