Ivone lives with her mother and sister in a small rented house, which is sometimes used by her mother as a hair salon, where she does peoples hair. She cannot afford to open a salon, but she is gifted in hair dressing. She is raising the children alone and with the little she earns she tries to care for the family.
The family use charcoal as their source of fuel for cooking and have a borehole for their source their water. They boil the water before drinking it. Both their house and their toilet are in good condition.
Ivone's brother is joining high school and her mother is struggling to pay the school fees for him. Understanding the needs of the family, Ivone has now been accepted onto the sponsorship programme, which will help support this family.
Ivone is a very happy child. She is welcoming, courageous and disciplined. She loves reading and would like to be an athlete when she grows up.
The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Ivone. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Ivone you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.