Desha lives in a two-room mud house with her mother, sister, uncle and aunt and their child.
When Desha's grandmother passed away, she left a very small piece of land for Desha's mother and aunt to inherit. They have dug a very small toilet and the walls are made of old rust iron sheets. They have hung an old sack that acts as the door and there is no roof. The family do not have their own water source so they fetch water from a neighbour's well and they boil it before they are able to drink it. Desha's mother used to rear chickens but they all died, so she now makes some money from doing laundry for people or from harvesting maize. This small income is quickly used up on feeding the family. Although Desha is quite shy, her mother says that she has a bit of a temper. Her mother hopes though that it is just a phase and she will overcome it.
By being part of the sponsorship programme, Desha has the opportunity to access a quality education and support to help her thrive.
Desha likes playing with mud. She likes to bake with it preparing mud cake for her mother and sister.
The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Desha. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Desha you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.