Jecinta lives with her grandparents, her sister and one of her uncles in a rented house with limited space. She also has an older sister who lives with other relatives. Jecinta used to live with her mother, her sisters and their step father in a different town. Then in early 2022 there were changes in the family and their grandmother took the children in. Jecinta's grandmother used to work at a nearby quarry but has been unemployed since it was shut down. She does not have any other source of income except for when she is able to do some casual labor, like laundry for other people. With her limited earnings she tries to pay rent, then the school fees and then any other household needs. The family share an outside pit latrine with another household and also share a borehole that is their source of water, although they have to boil this water for drinking.
With sponsorship provision, Jecinta has the opportunity of a brighter future with access to a quality education and support to enable her to thrive.
Jecinta is a bright girl. She says that she really loves her younger sister and she enjoys playing with her. She also loves going to Sunday school and singing songs and reading the Bible. She hopes that when she grows up she will be a hair stylist.
The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Jecinta. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Jecinta you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.