Meet Venessa

Aged 3, Kenya

Venessa lives with her grandparents in a rented one bedroom house, which they share with one of her uncles. They all sleep in the bedroom except the uncle who has converted the house kitchen into his bedroom. Venessa's mother left her children with their grandparents while she went to another town in search of employment. The family live in a shared compound with another neighbour and they share a pit latrine as well as a borehole. They fetch their water from the borehole and have to boil it before they are able to drink it. 

Venessa's grandmother used to work in a nearby quarry but it was shut down and since then she has been unemployed. She does casual jobs from time to time so that she can provide for her grandchildren, but this is difficult.  With sponsorship provision, Venessa has the opportunity of accessing a quality education and support.

Venessa is very inquisitive. She says that she really enjoys playing with her sister. She does not know yet what she may like to do when she grows up.

Where Venessa lives

The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Venessa. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Venessa you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...