Ashan lives with his mother and three other siblings in a single room house that they have been renting for a while after a difficult family separation. His mother sleeps on the bed with his youngest sibling and his older disabled brother, while Ashan and his sister sleep on a small sofa. The family share a community well and toilets with other neighbours. They boil the water before drinking. Ashan’s father is an alcoholic and has left the family after selling their former home.
Ashan’s mother works hard doing casual jobs in order to feed her children, but there is little income left once the house rent has been paid. With sponsorship provision, Ashan can have the opportunity to access a quality education in a loving supportive environment.
Ashan smiles a lot. He is such a happy boy who loves coming up with his own games and plays with the neighbor’s children when he can. He is excited to start school and make new friends.
The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Ashan. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Ashan you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.