Jane was born to a mother and step-father who were living on the streets. They would have to ask for money from passers by, and Jane was in a very poor state in tattered clothes. She had multiple scars on her face and body and was plagued by the effects of jiggers (a type of flea) on her hands and feet. Her mother was not well but refused to go to the hospital for medical attention and Jane's life was being put at risk. So, the children's officer, who became aware of the situation rescued Jane and placed her in the care of the Open Arms Village.
Jane joined the Open Arms village at just 18 months old and has been there ever since. At the village with sponsorship provision, she has been able to grow in a loving, caring environment and have access to a quality education.
Jane enjoys being in school and is growing in confidence. She is now a young lady who has developed a good sense of her own identity. She likes being around her guardians. She interacts well with others and is friendly. Jane likes to participate in playing different games with her peers. She loves skipping ropes, music and football. Jane is very clean and tidy, arranging her own clothes and mostly deciding herself what she would like to wear. She goes to school every day and enjoys being part of her class. She is a hardworking girl who is self motivated. She always does her assignments with little or no supervision and she always completes them on time. She has the courage and confidence to ask for extra help from her teachers when she needs it. Jane loves to get involved in extracurricular activities at school, which has helped her academic performance. She is a polite girl who gets along well with others. Her dream is to become a nurse one day.
The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Jane. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Jane you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.