Meet Patience

Aged 5, Kenya

Patience is an only child who was left by her mother in the care of her grandmother when she moved to a different town in search of work. Patience and her grandmother and uncle (who is a schoolboy) live in a two room mud house that is well maintained. They have an outside kitchen area. There is a bench to sit on and the floor is covered with black polythene to cover the earth. There are two beds that they share with blankets. They use a shared well and pit latrine. Just outside the house they have planted vegetables and sometimes sell these to their neighbours. They also have three chickens that have hatched chicks. Her grandmother hopes that one day she will buy more chickens to practice poultry farming and that she will be able to purchase her own piece of land and build a house. Patience's mother is working as a house help away and she does not earn enough to travel home often, so visits just once a year. She sends a little money home for the family. 

By being part of the Stand by Me sponsorship programme, Patience can access a quality education, meals, health care and other support.

Patience loves going to Sunday school, and she is very active. She likes playing games and hopes to become a teacher when she grows up. She is quite talkative and expresses her joy in being part of the Academy.

Where Patience lives

The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Patience. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Patience you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...