Flavian lives with her mother and four siblings. Her older brother lives with their auntie, as her mother struggles to provide for all her children. The family live in their own home and use firewood for cooking. They are able to use water from a neighbour's well, which they boil before drinking.
Flavian's mother does some casual jobs to earn money to feed her family and is involved in crop farming and the keeping of livestock. Flavian's mother shared that the responsibilities for caring for her family were becoming too much for her and she was afraid that her children might be forced to drop out of school because of a lack of money for the school fees. Understanding her concerns, Flavian and another of her children have now been accepted onto the sponsorship programme, to enable them to have educational support.
Flavian is a very happy girl, she is disciplined and well behaved. She loves science and technology subjects at school and would like to be a doctor. During her free time, she loves playing football with her friends and loves going to church.
The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Flavian. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Flavian you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.