Joan's mother is a single mother whom is raising her five children and a grandchild all by herself. She has managed to rent a two room house with a functioning toilet. They share a borehole water source with their neighbour.
Joan's mother goes to charcoal burning sites to collect charcoal that has been left behind as waste and she then sells small bags of this. She also fetches firewood from the forest to sell around the community. Some of the firewood and charcoal she collects she uses for their source of cooking fuel at home. Understanding the family struggles, Joan has now been accepted onto the sponsorship programme, thereby enabling her to access a quality education.
Joan likes science and technology subjects. She also loves drawing and enjoys going to church. She hopes that one day she will be a medical doctor.
The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Joan. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Joan you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.