Rodgers and his sister live with their elderly grandparents since their mother left to find work and has not returned. The family live on their own piece of land and have built a mud house with an iron roof and an earth floor. They have a family borehole as their water source, which they share with their extended family. They have a functioning toilet.
In order to take care of her grandchildren, Rodgers' grandmother does casual jobs like washing clothes, collecting firewood and tilling the land for people. Learning of their struggles, Rodgers has been accepted onto the sponsorship programme, enabling him to access a quality education.
Rodgers loves coming to school to learn math and English which are his favourite subjects. He has shared that he wants to be a driver when he grows up. He loves playing football with his friends.
The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Rodgers. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Rodgers you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.