Meet Precious

Aged 10, Kenya

Precious lives with her mother and 6 siblings in a rented one room house. Their mother is caring for the family since being separated from her husband some years ago. They share a toilet and a well with neighbours. Their house is cramped since all the seven children and their mother share this one room house. They have hung a bed sheet in the middle of the room in order to separate the sleeping area from the sitting area. They have one bed which the mother sleeps on and thin mattresses for the children.

Precious' mother collects firewood from a nearby timber yard which she then sells to a local hotel to earn an income. She has prioritized her money so that she spends out on any medical care first, then paying the house rent, then taking care of the household needs and lastly paying the school fees. One of her daughters suffers with a health condition so her mother spends a lot of money and time on her medical needs. Learning of their struggles, Precious has now been accepted onto the sponsorship programme, which will assist the family and give her access to a quality education.

Precious is a confident girl. She likes playing skipping rope with her friends and enjoys school a lot. She likes helping her mother at home and she wants to be a doctor when she grows up.

Where Precious lives

The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Precious. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Precious you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...