Brian and his siblings have been through a difficult time after losing their mum in an accident. His brother has finished Grade 8 of school and is now in high school. His older sister has already finished high school and is the one who looks after the family. She has a child of her own who is in Grade 3 of school. Their uncle acts as a guardian to them, but he lives separately and has his own family to provide for.
The family live in their own home and fetch and use firewood for cooking. They collect their water from a nearby river, and then boil it before drinking. The house has an iron roof and an earth floor with some part that are cemented.
Brian's uncle keeps livestock for milk and has cultivated a small piece of land, planting maize. His uncle is employed but has to take care of his own family. There is a lot of pressure on him. Being aware of this family's needs and to provide support, Brian has been accepted onto the sponsorship programme.
Brian is very confident and aware of himself. Unlike most boys his age, he is quite confident and can talk to adults easily. He loves helping the family by going to the river and fetching water (carrying twenty litres of water per trip). He loves coming to school and learning mathematics. He also loves playing football with his friends and would like to be a professional footballer when he grows up.
The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Brian. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Brian you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.