Meet Linus

Aged 8, Kenya

Linus lives with his siblings and mother in a small rented house. His mother is the only bread winner as his father is not living with them. She depends on casual jobs and does not have any land to cultivate.

The family home is very small and is in a poor condition, with unstable walls which pose a danger to the children. Sometimes when it rains, water flows into their house. Their toilet has collapsed and the landlord has not built another one for them, so they are forced to use another tenant's toilet. They have been given access to a neighbours' well where they collect water and boil it before drinking.

 Although Linus' mother has some health problems with her eye, and with allergies, she is such a cheerful lady. She is on medication for these conditions. She manages to take care of her children, giving them food and a clean place to stay, but has sought help from the sponsorship programme. By her son Linus being sponsored, the whole family will in turn benefit. 

Linus is a calm boy and very gentle. He does his school work in good time and never wants to miss school. He is such a disciplined boy that his mother leaves him in charge when she has to go to work. He says he hopes to become a doctor when he grows up.

Where Linus lives

The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Linus. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Linus you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...