Dismas and his step siblings live with their parents in their home on their own piece of land. His mother is the provider for the six children. Dismas' family have recently benefited from the water community project and therefore now have clean, accessible piped water both for drinking and for domestic purposes.
Dismas' mother rears and sells chicken for a living and also participates in crop farming. She keeps some animals, just enough to feed her own family. Her funds are mostly used up to pay the school fees for her children who are in high school. There are health problems in the family and Dismas' mum is also taking care of her elderly father-in-law since he is a widower. With all her responsibilities Dismas' mother applied for Dismas to join the care of our sponsorship programme for extra help and support, where he has access to an education, daily meals and medical care.
Dismas loves playing volleyball and enjoys looking after cattle during the school holidays. He is a confident fluent speaker and says that he loves school so much. He is pleased to be at school as he knows it will help him achieve his dream of being a pilot.
The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.
92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Dismas. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.
When you sponsor Dismas you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.
We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.
Ask us anything. We’ve helped sponsors change 1000s of kids’ lives, and we know it can be a big decision. We’re here to help you every step of the way.