Meet Emmanuel

Aged 6, Kenya

Emmanuel lives with his grandparents, his mother, his uncles and an aunt. Sadly his mother suffers with health issues and cannot take care of him and his grandmother is therefore his provider. She relies on casual jobs for an income but there are days when she has no work and the family go to bed hungry. The family live on their own piece of land and have built a mud walled house, with an earth floor. They collect firewood for their fuel for cooking and have dug up a well for their source of water. Emmanuel's grandmother grows maize for their use and keeps a few chickens in her homestead. 

By being accepted onto the sponsorship programme, Emmanuel has the opportunity of a quality education in a loving environment that will help him to thrive.

Emmanuel is a happy boy who likes playing with old tyres. He is calm yet cheerful and is always smiling.

Where Emmanuel lives

The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Emmanuel. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Emmanuel you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...