Meet Clifford

Aged 8, Kenya

Clifford lives with his mother and sister. The family use charcoal as their main fuel for cooking but have also bought a small gas cylinder which they can use when needed. They share a well with other neighbours. Together with eleven other households, they share two toilets.  

Clifford's mother sells groceries for a living but does not earn enough to cover their daily needs. They have medical bills to cover too as Clifford has been unwell. His mother has had to pay out a lot of money on both lab tests and medication for him.  

To support this family, Clifford has been accepted onto the sponsorship programme, enabling him to access a quality education in a loving environment.

Clifford is a lively boy who loves school so much and especially enjoys Kiswahili. He says that he loves helping in the house and being sent to the shop so that he can play with his friends along the way. He also loves football and wants to be a pilot when he grows up.

Where Clifford lives

The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Clifford. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Clifford you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...