Meet Shantel

Aged 8, Kenya

Shantel and her family live in a rented mud house which is in need of lots of repair. The landlord has been promising to fix it but this has not happened yet. Inside they have around five nylon sacks for storing their clothes and bedding. Shantel's mother has made a three stone cooking area in the open air to cook from. They have a well nearby. At times it is hard for this family to afford the soap to wash their clothes. Shantel's mother does casual jobs to try and provide for her six children who she is raising alone. She sometimes has to take her youngest son to work with her, or at times leaves him with his grandmother who does not live far away. 

With her limited earnings Shantel's mother tries to cover the needs of her household, including the rent and school fees, but this is difficult. Learning of their situation, Shantel has been accepted onto the sponsorship programme, where with support, she'll have access to a quality education with care and help.

Shantel is a calm girl who loves playing with her friends whenever she can. She loves skipping with a rope and playing rounders. She says that she wants to be a doctor when she grows up.

Where Shantel lives

The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Shantel. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Shantel you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...