Meet Pendo

Aged 5, Kenya

Pendo lives with her great-grandmother who has been acting as her guardian since she was born after her young mother went to a different town to work as a house help. She sends a little money home whenever she can to support them. In their small compound, this family have built a structure so that Pendo's uncle can sleep on a raised bed so that chickens can sleep under it. Pendo sleeps in her great-grandmother's room so that she is safe. The family have dug their own well within the compound which is their main source of water. They boil and then chill this water first, in clay pots, before drinking it. On one corner of the compound, they have constructed a pit latrine.

Pendo's great-grandmother is a hard working woman and she loves to work. Even in her older age she weaves brooms and makes ornamental calabash (gourd-like plant) and sells them in and around her community. She also has a small portion of land where she has planted some maize and kale to help provide their own food. 

Pendo is a quiet, but playful child. Being accepted onto the sponsorship programme, means that with support she'll have a chance to thrive with access to a quality education in a loving environment.

Where Pendo lives

The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Pendo. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Pendo you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...