Meet Shammah

Aged 8, Kenya

Shammah was found abandoned near a gate. The owner was said to have gone to church and while at the church he received a call from his daughter that there was an abandoned baby outside their gate. On receiving the call he immediately rushed home and found his daughter had taken the baby inside their compound. The man stayed with the baby for sometime hoping that the owner will come looking for his son but no one showed up. He later took the initiative and reported the matter to the police. Since Shammah had no parents and no one came to claim him and he had nowhere to call home the children's office recommended that he be committed to a children's home. They sought and secured admission at the Open Arms Village, where with sponsorship support, he could receive the love and care that he needs and the opportunity of access to a quality education.

Shammah has grown into a strong and intelligent boy. He is now in grade four studying at the Open Arms Academy. He is friendly and he likes playing football with his friends. He loves story telling and is always keen to tell a story to his friends. He is confident and energetic and he has the ability to listen, interact and engage with his friends very well. Shammah is always determined and does well in his class work. He always has a positive attitude towards learning. He is active and loves playing around, but he is always very organized and knows what to do and at what time. He has shown positive progress. He always hopes to be a doctor when he grows up.

Where Shammah lives

The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.

How your donation is used

88% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Shammah. We'll use the remaining 12% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Shammah you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...