Meet Mang

Aged 9, Myanmar

Mang is the second eldest child in her family. She has one older brother and one younger sister. She was born in Malaysia as her parents worked there. The children could not attend any good school there so the family decided to move to Myanmar. 

The father obtained some work riding three wheelers and feeding pigs but could not earn enough to feed their family and he also suffers from health issues. Their family life is so hard and they can't afford to send the children to school. 

The parents are full of hope for the future for their children as they now attend our school free of charge and are able to receive a good education and nutritious food. Mang works hard and is healthy and strong. She attends Sunday school and loves to attend the church. A sponsor will greatly encourage Mang to gain confidence and follow her dreams.

Where Mang lives

In Myanmar (formerly known as Burma), families live in isolated villages, days away from the nearest town. Straw huts with bare bamboo walls are home to people who labour in the scorching sun day after day just to scrape by. While in recent years, western embargos have been lifted, people are still trapped in poverty with 29% of children suffering from stunting due to malnutrition. Although education for children is compulsory, hundreds of thousands of children do not have access to school and for those who do, the many obstacles they face result in 6 out of 10 children dropping out before the age of 14

Today we are providing loving care to orphaned children from persecuted minorities in our purpose built children’s villages. Our schools are prioritising education for at risk and children. Through identifying and raising up quality teachers we’re inspiring a new generation to rise above their circumstances and reach their potential. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Mang. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Mang you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...