Meet Niang

Aged 10, Myanmar

Niang lives with her mother in a small rented house with poor furniture. Niang's father left the family and remarried, but he has since passed away. It is a struggle for Niang's mother to meet their daily needs as she does not have any permanent work and has found it difficult to pay the school fees. She sometimes works on a farm and also earns a little by washing people's clothes and blankets.

Learning of their difficulties, Niang was accepted at the Stand by Me school where with sponsorship support she'll receive a great education.

Niang is a kind and lovely girl. She obeys her mum and her teachers and she enjoys playing with her friends and doing things like running and jumping. She likes to go to Sunday school and dance with her friends. Niang enjoys her studies at school and she is doing her very best.

Where Niang lives

In Myanmar (formerly known as Burma), families live in isolated villages, days away from the nearest town. Straw huts with bare bamboo walls are home to people who labour in the scorching sun day after day just to scrape by. While in recent years, western embargos have been lifted, people are still trapped in poverty with 29% of children suffering from stunting due to malnutrition. Although education for children is compulsory, hundreds of thousands of children do not have access to school and for those who do, the many obstacles they face result in 6 out of 10 children dropping out before the age of 14

Today we are providing loving care to orphaned children from persecuted minorities in our purpose built children’s villages. Our schools are prioritising education for at risk and children. Through identifying and raising up quality teachers we’re inspiring a new generation to rise above their circumstances and reach their potential. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Niang. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Niang you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...