Meet Dairis

Aged 9, Colombia

Dairis lives with her mother, sister and extended family in her grandparents' house, which is brick with a concrete floor and a zinc roof. They have electricity and get water from a well in the backyard, but it is not drinkable so they usually go to a nearby villa to fetch their drinking water. Dairis’ mother sells catalogue products making a very small income a month and her grandfather helps to provide for the family. 

Due to this family's living conditions and financial situation Dairis was accepted into the Stand by Me programme, where at the Care Centre she can receive emotional and educational support and nutritious food that is a great help to her and her family. 

Dairis’ favourite subject is Spanish. She likes reading stories and loves to run and play with her dog in her free time near the local river. She hopes to be a chef one day and work in a big restaurant.

Where Dairis lives

The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.

We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support. 


How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Dairis. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Dairis you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...