Meet Yireth

Aged 7, Colombia

Yireth lives with her parents and siblings. Her dad works in various trades on a farm and her mum is a housewife. Her parents find it difficult to cover all the family's needs. They live in a house with only one bedroom so Yireth and her siblings sleep in the kitchen area, sharing a bed. While the home has electricity and gas they do not have clean water, and instead they collect water from the river. 

Yireth enjoys going to school to learn, to draw and to become a good person. Her favourite subject is art. Yireth is a funny child. In her free time she enjoys playing with dolls and likes to play running games and to colour. Her favourite colour is yellow. Her favourite food is sausages with fried plantain. Sometimes Yerith attends a Christian church with her family. 

With sponsorship support, Yireth has access to attend the Stand by Me Care Centre where she can receive nutritious food and educational support. She can have a safe place to do her homework and meet new people. When she grows up Yireth would like to be a doctor, because she wants to help other people.

Where Yireth lives

The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.

We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support. 


How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Yireth. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Yireth you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...