Meet Luz

Aged 8, Colombia

Luz lives with her mum, younger brother, uncles, aunties, and grandparents. They have little by way of furniture at home, and their home is in need of repair. They go to the local river to collect their water. Luz’s dad does not live with the family but does provide some financial help from his earnings as a security guard. However, things are not easy for the family. By being part of the Stand by Me care centre sponsorship programme, Luz can have access to help with her education, nutritious meals, and other support. Luz enjoys school and likes math. She is a joyful and playful youngster who has ambitions of becoming a doctor one day. She loves her doll and likes to dance. She is in a dance group at the church she attends with her family.

Where Luz lives

The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.

We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support. 


How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Luz. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Luz you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...