Meet Leonardo

Aged 10, Colombia

Leonardo lives with his parents and his brother and sister. Their home, which has a zinc roof is unfinished. The running water is not drinkable. The entire family share a bedroom and Leonardo sleeps with his brother on a mat on the floor. Leonardo’s father works in farming and is the main provider, but it is difficult for them to cover all their needs. 

At the Stand By Me Care Centre with sponsorship support, Leonardo will be able to receive daily lessons to help him improve in his studies and he will receive a nutritious lunch. Leonardo's favourite subject is social studies. He loves to learn about different places.  He enjoys playing his favourite sport, football and wants to be a professional player one day.

Where Leonardo lives

The gulf between the haves and the have-nots in Colombia is alarming. Decades of civil war and conflict have resulted in a country plagued by violence and murder. For six million children deep in poverty, a lack of educational opportunities and malnutrition is an everyday reality. Children have severe health issues worsened due to not being able to afford medical treatment. Many children suffer from psychological problems as a result of neglect, abuse and violence experienced in their homes.

We established a care centre in 2015 to support families through educational provision, meals, counselling, training and housing support. Every day, our children come to our care centre eager to learn, play and receive emotional support. 

 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Leonardo. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Leonardo you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Contact form image
Stand by... almost there...