Meet Bona

Aged 6, Ethiopia

Bona lives with his parents and two older brothers in a rented single room mud house. They have no bed to sleep on, so sleep on the floor on some carpet and they have to buy their drinking water. Bona's dad works as a daily labourer to try and supply the basic needs of his family and his mother takes care of the family and home. They are not able to cover all the costs of living on such a small income, so struggle for things like house rent, medication, food and Bona's schooling. 

Stand by Me are so glad to be able to come alongside this family by accepting Bona into the Abdi Academy sponsorship programme. With support, he is able to receive a quality education, along with food, medication, clothing and shoes. 

Bona is an active, confident and friendly young boy. He is very happy to be attending school and his favourite subject is Environmental Science. He loves the cooked eggs and enjoys playing football with his friends. He would like to be a teacher. Every Sunday Bona enjoys attending church where he likes to sing songs with his family.  

Where Bona lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Bona. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Bona you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...