Meet Hawi

Aged 6, Ethiopia

Hawi lives with her parents and siblings in a rented mud house. The family sleep on a mattress on the floor and have few items. Hawi's dad does labour work, to try and provide for his family, but the wages are low and it does not cover all their basic needs, including food. Taking this family's situation into consideration, Stand by Me gladly accepted Hawi into its sponsorship care and supportive programme. By being part of the Abdi Academy she will have access to quality education, nutritious meals, clothing, shoes and health care. Hawi is an interactive and friendly girl. She likes to go to school and her favourite subject is science. She likes to eat roasted meat and play handball. When she is older she wants to be a teacher. She is from a Christian family and is attending Sunday school.

Where Hawi lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Hawi. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Hawi you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...