Meet Bontu

Aged 7, Ethiopia

Bontu and her siblings live with their widowed mum in a mud house. They have very little by way of furniture, kitchen utensils, clothing or shoes, and they sleep on a grass mattress on the floor. The family collect their water from a well or buy it. Her mother has some health problems and is not able to see clearly from one eye. It is not easy for them to have enough food or other basic needs.

Understanding the situation that this family are in, Stand by Me accepted Bontu into the care of the Abdi Academy sponsorship programme. This means that Bontu can receive a good education, clothing, healthy food, and health care services. 

Bontu is a friendly, active and polite child. She is happy to be part of the Abdi Academy and is enjoying the new things she is learning. She loves to eat cooked eggs. She enjoys having fun and playing with her friends in her spare time, playing games like handball. Bontu is from a Christian family. She enjoys singing songs and is in the Sunday school at her local church. When she is older, Bontu wants to be a teacher.

Where Bontu lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

88% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Bontu. We'll use the remaining 12% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Bontu you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...