Meet Cara

Aged 10, Ethiopia

The name Cara means chance.  Cara was just six months old when he joined Stand by Me. A young girl found Cara on the street while he was crying. 

Understanding Cara’s desperate need for love and support, Stand by Me accepted him into the sponsorship programme.  With sponsorship, Cara has the opportunity to attend the Stand by Me School, enjoy a daily nutritious meal, have games & activities, medication, clothes, shoes and support and the chance to thrive. 

Cara is an active, friendly, thoughtful and loving boy.  His future is now much brighter.

Where Cara lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Cara. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Cara you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Contact form image
Stand by... almost there...