Meet Anuwar

Aged 7, Ethiopia

Anuwar lives with his parents and younger sister in a rented house. His father works as a labourer and his mother works for different householders. They earn a small wage but have no permanent income. The money they earn is insufficient for their basic needs.

After considering the family's position Stand by Me has accepted Anuwar to its school, where with sponsorship provision he can have access to help with not only his education, but food and medical checks.

Anuwar is a lovable young boy with a real enthusiasm for learning. Affan Oromo (his local language) is his favourite subject. Anuwar is very active and also loves running. He dreams of becoming a doctor when he is older.

Where Anuwar lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Anuwar. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Anuwar you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Contact form image
Stand by... almost there...