Meet Jalane

Aged 11, Ethiopia

Jalane is a twin and lives with her mother and sister in a one room mud house. Living conditions are very hard for them as their mother does not have enough income, earning less than £2 per day. Her work is not regular. 

The family struggles to have their daily needs. Learning of this Jalane was accepted into the Stand by Me programme, where with sponsorship support she has the opportunity of an education in a supportive and loving environment, along with nutritious meals and access to medical care.

Jalane likes to study Afaan Oromo (local language). Her favourite game to play is skipping. She wants to be a teacher when she grows up.

Where Jalane lives

Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world. Famine, HIV/Aids and extreme poverty have resulted in millions of orphans and a life of hardship for the majority of its population. Nearly one million children are orphaned as a result of HIV/Aids. A lack of investment in education and a high dependency on child labour has left five million children without access to an education. Educational opportunities for girls are lower than boys as they are expected to do domestic work or marry at an early age.

Our two schools, the Bethany School and the Abdi Academy are today providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. Our Children’s Village has two family homes which care for orphaned and at risk children. 

How your donation is used

92% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Jalane. We’ll use the remaining 8% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Jalane you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Contact form image
Stand by... almost there...