Meet Jonathan

Aged 5, Kenya

Jonathan lives with his parents and siblings in a rented two room house made of iron sheets, mud walls and an earth floor. They have planted some beans and vegetables for food and Jonathan’s mum prepares all the meals in a small make-shift kitchen. They use a pit latrine on the compound. Jonathan’s parents do casual jobs to try and provide for the family and his mother has joined a group which helps with saving and loans. She is hoping to open her own business in the future. With the support which comes through the Stand by Me sponsorship programme, Jonathan will be able to access a good education, meals, medical care and school supplies. This will all be a blessing to him and his family. Jonathan really loves school. He may be a little bit shy but when he is with his friends he is really cheeky and playful. He loves dancing and hopes that he will become a musician when he grows up.

Where Jonathan lives

The Open Arms project is joining the Stand by Me family in January 2022. Open Arms International was founded in 2006 to meet the immediate needs of orphaned and abandoned children in western Kenya who were suffering from a wide variety of life-threatening diseases. After the 2008 political violence left thousands of children orphaned, abandoned and homeless, the project grew to support more children. Today, the Open Arms Village is now home to over 150 children with 10 purpose-built family homes.

How your donation is used

88% of your donation will be used to directly provide the best care possible for Jonathan. We'll use the remaining 12% to support the work of Stand by Me and find a sponsor for the next child.

What you receive

When you sponsor Jonathan you will receive a pack in the post with his story and photo. Every year you will receive an update about his/her progress, a new photo and at least one communication from him/her.

Real relationship

We know our kids love to receive your letters and write back so we encourage you to write as many letters as you like, along with photos and birthday gifts to develop a genuine relationship.

Stand by... almost there...